ASLO 2018 Summer Meeting
Poster Presentation Guidelines
Poster Preparation Guidelines
There will be two posters displayed side by side on each panel. (A total of four posters per board with two posters sharing the space on each side.) Thus, each poster must be no larger than 48 inches wide by 48 inches high or (121.92 cm high by 121.92 cm wide). If your poster exceeds these specifications, it may be subject to removal. Posters will adhere to the boards using push pins that will be provided.
Each poster will be assigned a number. You will put your poster next to this number. There will be two (2) posters per side of each panel-board. Therefore, posters must be no larger than the maximum (48 inches high by 48 inches wide) or (121.92 cm high by 121.92 cm wide). If your poster exceeds these specifications, it may be subject to removal. Posters will be affixed to the panel-boards using push pins. It is suggested that you apply at least one push pin in each of the four corners of your poster. (Note: An adequate supply of push pins will be available throughout the poster hall.)
Poster Set Up and Teardown
If you were assigned a poster, please note the poster number that is included in your presentation assignment information. Numbers are consecutive to placement on poster boards in the Pavilions 1 and 2 at the Victoria Conference Centre. This number will be included in the printed conference program. Posters can go up Sunday, 10 June, from 15:00 to 19:00 and will remain in place through 18:00 on Thursday, 14 June. They should be removed following the final poster session on Thursday. Important note regarding poster presentations: The convention decorator may discard posters if the presenting author does not dismantle them according to tear-down instructions and times.
Posters will be organized in session groupings for the entire meeting to maximize opportunities for viewing. Though poster presenters have been assigned a specific day for interaction with attendees during the poster session, you may be at your poster any time the area is open. The poster session times do not conflict with concurrent oral presentations.
Poster sessions are scheduled from 16:00 to 18:00 Tuesday and Thursday. Receptions will take place in the poster area during this time.
Suggestions for Poster Preparation
The following are some very general suggestions for preparing your poster:
- Minimize text - use images and graphs instead.
- Keep text elements to 50 words or fewer.
- Use phrases rather than full sentences.
- Use an active voice.
- Avoid jargon (depends somewhat on audience).
- Left-justify text; avoid centering and right-justifying text.
- Use a serif font (e.g., Times) for most text - easier to read.
- Sans-serif font (e.g., Helvetica) OK for titles and headings
- Text should be at least 24-point in text, 36 for headings.
- Pay attention to text size in figures - it must also be large.
- Title should be at least 5cm tall.
- Use a light color background and dark color letters for contrast.
- Avoid dark backgrounds with light letters - very tiring to read.
- Stick to a theme of 2 or 3 colors - much more will overload and confuse viewers.
- If you use multiple colors, use them in a consistent pattern - otherwise viewers will spend their time wondering what the pattern is rather than reading your poster.
- Overly bright colors will attract attention - and then wear out readers' eyes.
- Consider people who have problems differentiating colors, especially when designing graphics - one of the most common is an inability to tell green from red.
Poster Printing in Victoria
If you would like to print your poster in Victoria, Island Blue Print is an 11-minute walk from the Victoria Conference Centre. They can do large format printing of posters. Please contact them directly if you are interested in finding out file formats and requirements, firm prices, information on delivery, or more details.
Island Blue Print
911 Fort Street
Victoria, B.C. Canada V8V 3K3
Tel: 250-385-9786 x 3
Email: email@example.comHours: Monday through Friday: 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
Closed Saturday and Sunday