I am seeking a motivated doctoral student to join my Ocean Modeling group at Penn. (https://climate.sas.upenn.edu)
Scientific research directions are very broad and include:
- The role of Southern Ocean dynamics in the global climate (physics and carbon cycle)
- The response of ocean carbon, nutrients, ecology to natural variability and climate change, including feedbacks.
- Ocean ecology and biodiversity from space and links with ocean physics
- Including evolutionary concepts into ecological models developed for the ocean.
- Linking the large scale hydrological cycle with the oceans.
Applicants must be self-motivated and hard working, with good written and verbal communication skills and analytical background. Strong background in some combination of physics, mathematics, oceanography, atmospheric science, chemistry or theoretical ecology is needed. Programming experience in current languages (e.g. Python, Matlab, etc.) is needed, as all research directions combine theory and computations.
Applications for the graduate program in the Earth and Environmental Science Department are due on January 15th 2018. Both US and international students can be accepted with standard fellowships and standard University benefits.
Applicants are asked to send a curriculum vitae, a statement of research experience and interests, publications to Irina Marinov (email@example.com), Dept of Earth & Environmental Science, Univ. of Pennsylvania, 240 S. 33rd Street Hayden Hall 153, Philadelphia, PA 19104. Dr. Marinov will also be at the AGU meeting in DC, 10-14 Dec 2018 to meet with interested candidates.