Welcome to ASLO!
For more than 50 years, ASLO has been a leading professional organization for researchers and educators in the field of aquatic science, working to provide for their needs at all phases of professional development. ASLO is best known for its highly rated research journals, its interdisciplinary meetings and its special symposia. The society supports increasingly important programs in public education and outreach and public policy. It strives to encourage student participation and to increase opportunities for minorities in the aquatic sciences. ASLO's mission statement is:
ASLO fosters a diverse, international scientific community that creates, integrates and communicates knowledge across the full spectrum of aquatic sciences, advances public awareness and education about aquatic resources and research, and promotes scientific stewardship of aquatic resources for the public interest. Its products and activities are directed toward these ends.
- Join ASLO!
- ASLO members receive a reduced registration fee for meetings, including the upcoming 2008 Ocean Sciences Meeting. There are many membership options available. If you join now, we will begin your membership in January 2008 and you will be afforded the reduced rate when you submit your abstract and register now. Join ASLO today and get the reduced member rate on your registration!
What's New At ASLO!
- Call for Papers
- This is an open call for papers for a special issue (SI) of Limnology and Oceanography (L&O) focused on Lakes and Reservoirs as Sentinels, Integrators, and Regulators of Climate Change. The SI will follow an AGU Chapman Conference that will be held at Lake Tahoe September 8-10, 2008. All papers that are directly relevant to the conference topics will be considered. For more information, please click here (PDF file).
- Open Access News!
- ASLO strongly supports Open Access Publication under a sustainable business model. Accordingly, the "embargo period" for Limnology and Oceanography and Limnology and Oceanography: Methods has been shortened to three years. All articles older than three years are placed in Open Access. Another 40% of the articles published during those three years are placed in Open Access by their authors for a nominal charge. The Limnology and Oceanography Bulletin is restricted to members for just one year. In total, more than 93% of ASLO's published articles are in Open Access!
- New L&O Issue Posted
- The latest issue of Limnology and Oceanography (Vol 52, Issue 6, 2007) is now posted.
- ASLO Ethics Forum
- The ASLO Professional Ethics Committee receives and deals with inquiries regarding ethical dilemmas and issues. The latest topic considered by the Ethics Forum is The Ethics of Being an Expert Witness.
- Jean-Jaques and Berthe Symoens Prize for Tropical Limnology
- The Royal Academy for Overseas Science has issued a call for submissions for the Jean-Jacques and Berthe Symoens Prize for Tropical Limnology, to be awarded for a memoir of great scientific value, unpublished, or published for less than 4 years, written in English, French, Dutch or Spanish, on a subject related to tropical limnology. For more information, click here.