2017 ASLO Photo Contest
Calling all photographers! ASLO is holding its first ever photo contest to spotlight member research, activities, and artistic talent. Your photos will be used to promote freshwater and ocean science, resources, and conservation issues with the general public and ASLO members. Winning photos will be used on the upcoming and newly designed ASLO website, blog, and communications (e.g., journal covers, marketing brochures, social media sites, etc.) for the membership and general public to see!
To enter the contest, submit a form and photo here. Contestants can submit up to one photo per category (a separate form must be filled out for each photo). To be eligible for consideration, photos must:
- have a title and short story describing the image
- be no larger than 2MB
- be a maximum dimension of 950px x 500px
- be in .jpg, .png, or GIF format
Higher resolution files may be requested if an entry is selected as a winner, or for use on the ASLO website or communications. Files should be named as: LAST NAME_CATEGORY NAME
- Research: A single image that captures the essence of your research program or experiment in the field or the lab.
- Scientists in Action: Photos of you and/or colleagues doing what you love most; science!
- Nature: Images of your favorite field sites, physical or biological processes, and/or organisms.
- Microscopic Imagery: Photos of the smallest organisms and geological features that are invisible to the human eye.
- Conservation: Photos that highlight conservation needs, activities, or success stories of aquatic ecosystems and organisms.
- Altered Art: Photos or photo collages that have been significantly altered to use art to tell a science story.
Grand Prize Winners: One first place winner from each category will receive one year of free membership to ASLO (2018), their photo will be placed on the ASLO homepage for 1 month, and promoted on the ASLO blog and social media sites.
Second Place Winners: Second place winners from each category will have their photo placed on the ASLO homepage for 1 month, and promoted on the ASLO blog and social media sites.
Third Place Winners: Third place winners from each category will have their photo promoted on the ASLO blog and social media sites.
Read more about ASLO membership here.
Photo Contest Terms and Conditions:
The 2017 ASLO Photo Contest is open to any individual, 18 years or older. Only photos that are submitted electronically and adhere to the submission guidelines will be eligible for consideration.
By submitting a photo, you warrant and represent that the photo you submit (the “Submission”) is your own original work, that you alone own copyright to, and that no other party has any right, title, claim or interest in the Submission. By submitting a photo that contains recognizable people including yourself, colleagues, or others, you attest that all individuals in the photo have granted permission to submit the photo, and have read and agree to the terms and conditions of this contest.
By submitting a photo to the 2017 ASLO Photo Contest you grant ASLO a royalty-free, worldwide, perpetual license to display, distribute and reproduce the Submission, in whole or in part, in any medium now existing, or subsequently developed for editorial purposes without further review or participation from you.
Submissions for the 2017 contest will be accepted Mar 27 to May 31, 2017. Winners will be notified by August 1, 2017. Submissions arriving after May 31, 2017, will not be considered. There will be 1 Grand Prize, Second Place, and Third Place winner from each photo category. ASLO staff, committee members, and board members will make an initial assessment of entries and the top images will be selected for general voting. Final winners will be chosen by ASLO members and the general public via an online voting system.