ASLO FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: GLOBAL OUTREACH INITIATIVE
We are pleased to announce the availability of funds for the ASLO Global Outreach Initiative. As the ASLO membership has become increasingly geographically diverse, so have many ASLO activities. ASLO has frequently discussed and explored ways to assist ASLO members outside the U.S. with communicating their results to non-technical audiences. Recognizing that our members know their local culture best, ASLO adopted a bottom-up approach in 2012 with the ASLO Global Outreach Initiative. ASLO has committed to another round of the program in 2016, with up to $10,000 total for individual members or groups of members to enable outreach in their own communities. We expect to grant 4-10 awards. Reports from projects funded by the 2012 ASLO Global Outreach Initiative were published Nov 2013 issue of the L&O Bulletin.
Aim and Scope of the Projects:
The initiative is directed to individual or groups of members who wish to engage in activities with their local community – this could take the form of public lectures, field work, or other educational activities associated with aquatic systems or organisms. It is not intended to provide funds for travel or purchase of books or equipment for ASLO members or their institutions.
Examples of what we would consider:
- Resources required to work with schools or communities.
- Funds for boat time for field trips, costs of workshops or open days for students or individuals NOT affiliated with your institution, a local school for example. Funds may NOT be used for teaching your regular undergraduate or graduate level courses.
- Sponsoring a public lecture, this may be done separately or as part of a planned meeting or an ASLO conference
- Adding an ASLO-sponsored lecture to a planned scientific meeting or conference.
- Translation of existing outreach materials into other languages.
These are just some thoughts, as the initiative is new, we are open to all ideas.
Applications should contain the following:
- 100-word Abstract
- Brief biosketch of PI’s (one paragraph); at least one PI must be a current member of ASLO.
- Project Description (2 pages, single spaced, 12 point font) including:
- Objectives: Who is the audience/how are you extending your usual community?
- Proposed Activities: What will you do?
- Anticipated product or outcome: How will the community benefit from this support?
- Proposed budget: What will it cost? Proposals in the range of $300 to $3000 will be considered. Enough detail should be included so that reviewers can see how the funds will be effectively used.
- Evaluation plan: How will you measure the impact of your activities?
Successful applicants will be required to submit a 2-page final report documenting how the ASLO funds were used and the outcome of the project.
If you are uncertain whether your request is appropriate, please send a brief email to email@example.com (Chair of the ASLO Outreach Committee), and we would be pleased to provide advice and guidance.
Proposals should be sent to ASLO Outreach Committee Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). The deadline for submission is 1 July 2016. Award winners will be announced around 15 August 2016.