About the Meeting Image
Salvage Harbour in the summer months
Occupied as early as 1675, Salvage continues to be an important fishing community in the central portion of Bonavista Bay. Salvage was also a mercantile center for the region, especially in the late 19th century when communities in that area participated heavily in the Labrador fishery.
As the Labrador fishery declined in the early 20th century, so did the population of Salvage, falling from a high of 591 in 1891 to 249 by 1945 and less than 200 in the early 1960s. However its good harbor, close proximity to fishing grounds, road connection with the Trans Canada Highway and the development of nearby Terra Nova National Park gave Salvage a degree of stability not found in many other more isolated communities. As a consequence, some Flat Islands residents moved there in the late 1950s when that community resettled. Some brought their houses and stages with them. The Flat Islands stages, captured in the images presented here, along with those originally built in Salvage - all painted red ochre and situated on the shoreline around the small harbor - make a strong visual impression on the landscape. They are a vivid reminder of resettlement and others aspects of Newfoundland's outport history and culture.