Currency, Taxes & Banking

Canadian dollars and cents form the monetary system in Canada.  Although the operators of many retail outlets, restaurants and other venues may accept American money, we recommend that visitors exchange their cash for Canadian currency before they leave home.  There is no currency exchange house in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

Some banks charge a fee to cash traveler's checks.  Normal banking hours are typically Monday to Friday 10 am to 3 pm with extended hours at some locations.  Automated teller machines (ATM) marked with the Plus or Interact symbol will accept automated banking cards from outside Canada.  Banks charge a fee for international transactions. Each bank sets an exchange rate.  Most venues will accept major national or international credit cards for payment.

Downtown Banks

Bank of Montreal
238 Water Street
Tel:  709-758-2055

Bank of Nova Scotia/Scotiabank
Scotia Centre, 245 Water Street
Tel:  709-576-6000

Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC)
Atlantic Place, Water Street
Tel:  709-576-8800

Hong Kong Bank of Canada (HSBC)
205 Water Street
Tel:  709-722-8000

Royal Bank of Canada
226 Water Street
Tel:  709-576-4222

TD Canada Trust
TD Place, 140 Water Street
Tel:  709-758-5000

Duty Free Shopping

A duty-free shop is located at the St. John's International Airport to sell tax-free items to departing international visitors.  Please check with custom officials for questions regarding restrictions, licenses or controls.

Sales Tax

A 14% Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) is applied to most goods and services in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Tourism Marketing Levy

In the City of St. John's only, there is a 3% Tourism Marketing Levy Tax (TML) applied to all fixed roof accommodations.  The tax is displayed on your room bill and is applied to the cost of the room only, not the room plus sales tax. 

GST/HST Rebate

Non-Canadian visitors and businesses can apply for a refund of sales tax paid on certain items.  A visitor can claim a refund on the HST paid on accommodations (not the 3% TML) – including campsites and associated hook-up charges – if you stayed for less than one month at each lodging establishment and the original receipt shows the number of nights of accommodations for each lodging.  Room service and telephone are not eligible for the tax refund but if breakfast was included in the fixed price of your accommodations, apply for the tax you paid on the total fixed price.

To qualify for a refund on short-term accommodations and foods, the purchase amount before taxes must be at least $200 and you must have paid at least $50 in taxes.  Generally, goods and services consumed or left in Canada are not eligible for a refund.  If you claim a rebate on goods you export, you will have to provide proof of export.

To claim a refund, obtain a copy of the brochure Tax Refund for Visitors, which includes an application form.  The brochure is available from the Visitor Information Centres in the province or from:

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
Summerside Tax Centre
Suite 104, 275 Pope Road
Summerside, PE, Canada  C1N 6C6

Phone:  1-800-668-4748 (within Canada) or 902-432-5608 (Outside Canada)


Friends or relatives living in Canada may receive gifts, duty and tax free from visitors or by mail, if the value of each gift does not exceed $60 (Canadian funds).  Tobacco products, alcoholic beverages or advertising material can not be sent as gifts.

Top of Page | Home Page | Contact | Help | Print This Page