Efforts to Host a Sustainable Meeting
in Santa Fe
The committee for ASLO NABS in Santa Fe has promised to make significant strides to ensure that this joint meeting is very eco-conscious. The goal of these efforts is sustainability. The following is a list of sustainable efforts meeting attendees may experience:
- Use of electronic communication as much as possible to reduce paper waste. This includes producing an electronic program with a small schedule-type program that will be printed and handed out on site.
- No abstract book will be printed. All abstracts will be available and searchable on the meeting web site.
- Limited committee meetings preceding the meeting. Phone and email will be used to reduce travel.
- Work with the City of Santa Fe on carbon offset opportunities.
- Work with the hotels selected on energy and environmental efforts including water on request in restaurants, re-use of linens and towels, encouraging green power and lighting.
- Use of public transportation from outlying hotels. The meeting will not provide shuttles and busing.
- China and linens will be used for food functions.
- Attendees will be encouraged to bring their own tote bags, drinking mugs, and water bottles.
- Web site will highlight ways to travel responsibly.
- Reduction of printed directional signs as much as possible, favoring the use of volunteers to help direct people to the various venues.
- Restaurants and caterers will be encouraged to use local and fair trade products.
- Noise reduction will be encouraged at all events.
- Vendors will be asked to provide information on their own sustainability efforts.
- We are mindful that water is a big issue in Santa Fe, and we will encourage conservation of water throughout the meeting.
- Water will be available to attendees in pitchers and coolers. Individual plastic water bottles will not be used.
- Food and beverage service will be in bulk as much as possible.
- Composting We will be encouraged.
- Conference badges may be recycled at the conclusion of the meeting.
Santa Fe Convention Center
The Santa Fe Convention Center
The Santa Fe Convention Center is ideal for Green meetings and events. Since inception, environmental responsibility has been a major focus. 88% of the materials from the previous building were salvaged and recycled, 75% of the waste generated during construction is being recycled, and all exterior timber is certified, meaning it was rescued from the Sierra Blanca forest fire.
Please see the meeting venue page for more details.