Towards Sustainable Meetings
The Puerto Rico Convention Center is doing its part to further the green movement by maintaining a clean environment, researching new methods to achieve sustainability, and promoting environmentally friendly practices. The facility has implemented an extensive recycling program, energy, and water conservation, and several other green initiatives that benefit its clients, employees, visitors, suppliers, community, and the world.
Key elements of the “greening” of the Puerto Rico Convention Center include:
- Installing and using automated control systems for air conditioning and lighting of the facility, as well as the incorporation of natural lighting to reduce overall energy consumption.
- Providing preferential parking spaces around the facility for hybrid cars, as well as enhancing and encouraging the use of public transportation to the Puerto Rico Convention Center District.
- Replacing conventional lamps throughout the facility and District with lighting materials that consume less energy.
- Landscaping the District with native plants and other flora that require less maintenance and require less water, as well as utilizing an automated watering system to conserve the use of water.
- Implementing already-established eco-friendly policies and green standards for the PRCC. This includes utilizing green products such as recycled paper products and eco-friendly cleaning supplies in the use and maintenance of the facility, as well as requiring contractors to apply and adhere to green standards and practices in their work with the facility and District.
- Maintaining already-established waste reduction and recycling programs.