Water Currents: “North Country Dreamland” Shares Beauty of Lake Superior

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Forum Admin

Forum Admin

Frequent Forum User

• Administrators
  • 1357 posts

I lived in Michigan as a child, and I spent many summer nights gazing at the dark sky. I also spent many happy hours making sand castles on the edges of the Great Lakes. In winter, I spent hours romping in the ample snow.

Lisa Borre is also from Michigan originally, and she has been covering lakes for Water Currents. We’ve been learning about temperature and lake level changes, but sometimes it’s also great to bask in the raw beauty of nature.

Shawn Malone from Lake Superior Photo made the beautiful “dreamlapse” above along Lake Superior in northern Michigan. Malone wrote, “It took a year to shoot in many cold nights and took a lot of coffee, a bit tenacity and persistence to get this into a form of coherent electrified cosmic goodness.”Michigan aurora

I recognized Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and the city of Marquette, and he also made it to Isle Royale, one of the least visited National Parks.

Malone captured sparring moose and listed as some of his favorite moments: “Rare pairings caught on camera include ribbons of aurora above a full moon fogbow on the horizon of Lake Superior, the aurora and an isolated singular lightning storm cloud over Lake Superior, and the aurora and Milky Way in several scenes including Copper Harbor, Marquette, Isle Royale, Pictured Rocks, and Eagle Harbor Lighthouse…There are also a couple sequences of rare magenta/red aurora that I will never tire of.”

My mom loves lighthouses, so I visited many historic ones in Michigan growing up. It was great to see them bathed in such celestial color. I only saw the northern lights a few times, and never so spectacular.

Now that’s Pure Michigan.

View the full article