• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

lo-editor

lo-editor

New User

• ASLO Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

The L&O office was closed from Wednesday night through Saturday morning because of flooding in Canmore. Thankfully, life is now slowly returning to normal; we're back in our house (we still don't have running water or natural gas) and the L&O office is open again. All road traffic into Canmore is presently (Sunday morning) closed due to road washouts.

For 3 days life here in Canmore was definitely dramatic (it's being called the 100-year flood event) but Lucille and I managed to keep in touch with L&O business contacts via cellphone while the L&O office was closed. The L&O office and our house are in the evacuation zone because Cougar Creek, the epicenter of the crisis is only ~200 m away; the creek ran amok after >200 mm of rain fell in two days (the normal monthly total). We avoided confinement in the official (crowded) evacuation center by staying at Lucille's horse club, which is on high ground and was never threatened. We made a cozy nest in the hay shed at Lucille's paddock and the two nights we were there I slept better there than I do at home! I think the horses were more disturbed by our continual presence than they were by the incessant rain.

The attached picture that I took Saturday afternoon shows what's left of houses that back onto Cougar Creek: back yards are gone and the houses are probably structurally unsound. Nothing is covered by insurance apparently. Very sad for the people affected by this natural disaster. I heard on the news that flooding throughout southern Alberta associated with this storm will prove to be the most expensive natural disaster in Canadian history.

//Everett

Attached Files

ASLO Public Affairs

ASLO Public Affairs

New User

• ASLO Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Glad to hear you all are OK, Everett! It's too bad we can't divert some of that water to Colorado...