Research Technician for Coral Reef and Ecosystem Assessment
The Saudi Aramco Marine Environmental Research Center at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) is seeking a Research Technician to participate in coral reef community and ecosystem assessment and evaluation of ecosystem modification both using modern molecular and traditional approaches. This is an extensive 10-year project to provide a baseline understanding for the Red Sea ecosystem along the Saudi Arabian coastline.
The responsibilities for the position include:
- Manage the molecular and biochemical laboratory facilities (order supplies and maintain equipment)
- Support ongoing field work such as coral reef and coastal habitat assessment
- Collect biological samples in the field
- Develop and apply molecular techniques to identify the biodiversity of marine habitats along the Red Sea coast.
- Conduct data analysis and contribute to the writing of reports, manuscripts and project proposals.
We are looking candidates with the following qualifications:
- Understanding of coral reef functioning and coral reef community assessment protocols
- Knowledge of Environmental Impact Assessments and coral reef community stressors
- SCUBA diving certification
- Candidates with experience in the application of metagenetic, metagenomic and metatranscriptomic techniques are preferred
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good organizational skills and a strong ability to accomplish tasks independently
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and software tools for sequence analysis would be greatly appreciated
Specific requirements for the position include:
- MSc in Biology, Molecular Biology, Marine Ecology, Marine Biology or a related field and more than 2 years if experience on coral reef community assessment
- Experience writing formal and scientific reports
- Laboratory and field experience, and the demonstrated ability to work effectively within multidisciplinary research teams.
- SCUBA certification
- Experience working in college or university setting is an advantage, but not a requirement.
- PhD degree in a related scientific field will be viewed positively
For more information about this position, please contact Susana Carvalho (firstname.lastname@example.org) and to apply please visit http://www.kaust.edu.sa/
(employment – search for jobs – search openings)